Data and information
provided on this site represent the views of their authors.
TxOptions.com and Homeopathic Laboratories of Pennsylvania believe
that the public is best served by a robust exchange of ideas. The
opinions and information contained in these articles and comments do
not necessarily represent those of TxOptions.com, its affiliates or
parent company, Homeopathic Laboratories of Pennsylvania. Readers
should not consider these articles a substitute for sound medical
Hyland's, Inc., a leading provider of homeopathic medicines, conducted a national sleep survey during the fall of 2008. This survey polled adult consumers throughout the country to answer "What Keeps You Up At Night?" along with other sleep-related questions. The survey results below recap some of the survey's top findings.
Top 10 Sleep Findings
In Hyland's, Inc.'s recent sleep study, it was found that:
- 56% of Americans surveyed receive less than six hours of sleep on average per night.
- 72% of women said they would benefit from more sleep as opposed to 60% of men.
- 45% of people who lay awake in bed as a result of stress are worried about future events.
- Women are more likely than men to lie in bed awake worried about either future or past events.
- Other than the economy as the overall largest stressor among all categories, women's largest stressors were: Career/Job, Credit Card Debt, Children and marriage/relationship. Men's largest stressors were: Career/Job, Presidential Election, Housing Market, and War in Iraq. Generally, women were more stressed about personal issues that directly related to themselves and their family/relationships. Men were generally more stressed about external, global issues.
- 28% of people surveyed who claimed a house hold income under $25K had both trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, as compared with just 18% of those who claimed to have a house hold income of over $100K.
- Having children in the home can have an effect on adult's quality of sleep. 83% of adults with children under the age of 18 said they would benefit from a better night's sleep, as opposed to 74% of adults without children in the home.
- A marriage/relationship is a significantly higher cause of stress in a household making less than $25K than in any other income bracket, with 26% of those households stressed by a relationship. This is compared to 14% for those making between $25K -$50K, and 18% for those making over $100K.
- 55% of respondents feel that there is at least some effectiveness with regard to natural sleep remedies.
- 46% of men said they would use a natural sleep aid in the future, as compared to 58% of women.
Total Number of Respondents: 1099
- Total Number of Male Respondents: 525
- Total Number of Female Respondents: 574
Posted on 07 Apr 2009